Share the Joy of the Season: Donate to the Plaza West Grandfamily Gift Drive
Friday December 1, 2023
In case you missed it: on Giving Tuesday we launched our fourth Plaza West Grandfamily Gift Drive on our social media channels. This annual event supports the residents of Plaza West, which is an innovative affordable housing development serving grandparents raising grandkids here in the Mount Vernon Triangle neighborhood. The unique development has 50 units for head of households age 50 and older who have legal custody/guardianship of at least one minor child. Your contribution to the gift drive will make a meaningful difference for 75 deserving children in our community.
Spread joy this holiday season by contributing one of two ways to the Plaza West Grandfamily Gift Drive:
- We have worked with the grandfamilies to compile an Amazon Wish List that includes gifts specifically requested. Simply select the items you would like to purchase and they will be shipped directly to the Mount Vernon Triangle CID office (200 K Street NW, Suite 3, Washington, DC 20001) where they will be sorted, packaged, and delivered to Plaza West in time for its holiday celebration on Thursday, December 14.
- For the second year we have also partnered with Generations United to create a cash donations page. These cash donations will be used to purchase gift cards for residents who did not request specific items on the Amazon Wish List.
In the past year, Plaza West has seen a 10% increase in the total number of youth residing at the property meaning we need your contributions now more than ever to ensure that all the children receive at least one gift during the holiday season. Below is a demographic profile of the “grandfamilies” residing at at the property:
- 75 youth between the ages of infant to 18 years old:
- 0-5: 6
- 6-12: 37
- 13-18: 32
- All residents identify as African American/Black
- Average household income: $23,000/year
- Average household composition: three people per household
- 40% of grandparents are age 65 or older
- All but three of the apartments have a single grandmother raising a minor child
Thank you for helping us make the season a little brighter for our grandfamilies!