Who Will You See at FRESHFARM MVT Market?
Thursday August 12, 2021
Anyone who’s lived in DC long enough knows the feeling of seeing someone out in public and thinking, “don’t I know that person?” This is quickly followed by the sudden realization that the person you recognize is an elected representative going about their daily life. Case in point: last Saturday, U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio joined members of the community in celebrating National Farmers Market Week at FRESHFARM MVT Market.
Sporting our trendy market bag, Senator Brown shopped our local vendors and helped support our economy. We are so glad to see elected officials making themselves a part of our community and treating the area as a home away from home.
Remember, FRESHFARM MVT Market prides itself on serving everyone in the community, which is why they have created the FRESH Match Program. This program broadens access to fresh fruits and vegetables for individuals qualifying for SNAP/EBT, P-EBT, WIC and Senior FMNP. The program works as follows:
- If you are a SNAP/EBT, P-EBT participant, all you do is swipe your EBT card, shop for fresh food with your SNAP coupons, and you will receive a dollar-for-dollar match that you are able to use at the market.
- If you are a WIC or SENIOR FMNP participant and you spend your checks with a farmer, you will receive a receipt that you can show to market staff at the information tent and get matching coupons for up at $10 that you can use to buy fresh produce.
So, visit the corner of 5th & I Streets NW Saturdays from 9am-1pm, and be sure to bring your market bag. If you don’t have one, claim yours today! It’s a great place to meet up with friends, hang out with family, and make acquaintances with dogs! You never know who else you will run into, but you can rest assured you will find great local produce and amazing food and drinks. This week’s vendors include:
- A Baked Joint, bread
- Black Rock Orchard, fruits and vegetables
- Capitol Cider House, alcoholic beverages and seasonal ciders
- Grassfed Griddle, breakfast sandwiches
- JustAJ’s Food, veggie hotdogs
- CropEats, vegan muffins and baked goods
- New Horizons Apiaries & Farm, honey and bee products
- Pleitez Produce Farm, conventional produce grower
- Sexy Vegie, vegetarian sandwiches, salads, soups and wraps
- Shenandoah Seasonal, sustainable produce grower
- Sunnyside Flowers, flowers, eggs and meat (subject to availability)
- Tae-Gu Kimchi, kimchi
- Zeke’s Coffee, coffee to-go and whole coffee beans
- Snarfies, handmade pet treats
We look forward to seeing you Saturday!